Workout fads come and go but yoga has been around for almost 5,000 years. Yoga is not just a “ho hum” relaxation exercise, but it is also a calorie burner and muscle toner.
There are several different forms of yoga and, the best part, it is great for all fitness levels and ages!
Example of different types of yoga:
- Hatha: the form most often associated with yoga, it combines a series of basic movements with breathing.
- Vinyasa: a series of poses that flow smoothly into one another.
- Power: a faster, higher-intensity practice that builds muscle.
- Ashtanga: a series of poses, combined with a special breathing technique.
- Bikram: also known as “hot yoga,” it’s a series of 26 challenging poses performed in a room heated to a high temperature.
- Iyengar: a type of yoga that uses props like blocks, straps, and chairs to help you move your body into the proper alignment.
Areas it targets
- Relaxation and stress release
Where can I practice this?
There are classes offered at local yoga studios and some fitness studios.
You can also find some classes online (You Tube or On-Demand) to take at your convenience in your own home.