The Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau (VCB) and the Greater Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce honored six local individuals and businesses with Chrysalis Awards at the Celebration of Business & Tourism Awards Luncheon and Trade Show held April 19 at The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village.
The event celebrates the successful collaboration between tourism and the community to maintain and enhance tourism. Tourism continues to be the major economic engine for Lee County.
The 2018 Chrysalis honorees were:
- Business Development, Sanibel Captiva Community Bank
- Cultural Achievement: Alliance for the Arts
- Eco-Innovation: Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife (CROW)
- Education: The Laboratory Theater of Florida
- Sales & Marketing: HelloSWFL
- Business Tourism Leader: Courtney Fraser/Eat Local Lee
The 19 businesses and four individuals nominated for Chrysalis Awards were judged on innovation in their respective category. The judges also focused on how the nominees distinguished themselves in the community, the results of their efforts to promote the destination and their contributions to business and tourism partnerships for the overall benefit of the county.
Tourism brings an estimated $3 billion annually into the local economy and accounts for one in five jobs in Lee County.